During tonight’s PlayStation State of Play we were offered some insight into what awaits the PS5 in the near future. This includes a look at both upcoming titles and updates for released titles. It was a mixture of surprises – such as a new Ghost of Tsushima sequel! – and games we all knew where going to make an appearance at some point.
Whether you missed the show or are looking for a rundown of the announcements, you’ll find all of the games featured, and their trailers, down below.
Astro Bot DLC
Astro Bot may have only released a couple of weeks ago, but here it is headlining the State of Play. Tonight’s trailer gave us a glimpse into the game’s upcoming free DLC, which will include five new online speedrun levels and 10 new bots to rescue.
The Astro Bot DLC will be released later this autumn.

Astro Bot – Speedrun and Special Bots Add-On Trailer | PS5 Games

Read More

Sega has confirmed a collaboration with DC on a series of Sonic the Hedgehog comics that will see the blue blur teaming up with the Justice League.
Earlier this week for Batman Day, the Sonic the Hedgehog social media account teased the collaboration, but at today’s Sonic Central live stream further details were revealed.
The comics will see mash-ups like Shadow as Batman, Sonic as The Flash (naturally), and Knuckles as Superman, beginning as a series of comics in March 2025 written by Sonic writer Ian Flynn.

Sonic Central – September 24th, 2024

Read More

Final Fantasy 16 was released on PC last week and has set the fourth-highest concurrent player count for a Square Enix game on Steam.
Over the weekend, the game hit a peak concurrent player count of 27,508 (according to SteamDB).
That beats out the likes of Final Fantasy 7 Remake (13,803), Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX (11,152), and NieR: Automata (23,908), but remains behind Final Fantasy 15 (29,498) and NieR: Replicant (28,684).

FINAL FANTASY XVI “DELIVERANCE” – PC Trailer

Read More

Palworld developer Pocketpair has responded to this morning’s dramatic decision by Nintendo to file a patent infringement lawsuit against the company.

In a statement issued via social media and the company’s website, Pocketpair said it received notice of the legal proceedings yesterday but was still “unaware of the specific patents we are accused of infringing upon”.

Pocketpair said it would battle the lawsuit on behalf of Palworld’s fans, but also framed the fight as a matchup between “a small indie game company” that wanted “to ensure that indie game developers are not hindered or discouraged from pursusing their creative ideas”.

The developer described the situation as “truly unfortunate” – as it would now have to divert resources to fighting the lawsuit – and apologised to supporters for “any worry and discomfort this news has caused”.

Pocketpair’s statement is below in full:

“Yesterday, a lawsuit was filed against our company for patent infringement.

“We have received notice of this lawsuit and will begin the appropriate legal proceedings and investigations into the claims of patent infringement.

“At this moment, we are unaware of the …

Read More

Blizzard has shared more on Overwatch 2’s previously announced World of Warcraft collaboration – which arrives as part of the MMO’s 20th anniversary celebrations – confirming the event begins next Tuesday, 17th September.

Word of its start date arrives alongside a nifty new trailer featuring a first-person ride through a theme-park-style attraction called Blizzard World. As the trailer unfolds, a number of unseen Overwatch 2 characters comment on the ensuing crossover mayhem, and we’re given a glimpse at the hero shooter’s new World of Warcraft collaboration skins.

Those skins include Sylvanas Windrunner Widowmaker, Lich King Reinhardt, Thrall Zenyatta, and Diamond Magni Torbjorn. Whether Blizzard has anything more planned for Overwatch 2’s big World of Warcraft event beyond a handful of skins remains to be seen, but all will likely be revealed when the event gets underway next week.

Overwatch 2 x World of Warcraft | Collaboration Trailer

Read More

Game studio Odyssey Interactive is launching a playtest for its latest “crazy” project but it may not even release if players aren’t into it.
Byte Breakers, as it’s currently known, is a 40-player Smash Bros-style Battle Royale. The studio shared a look at gameplay on social media alongside the playtest announcement.
However, this is one of many prototypes the studio has developed as it aims to “find a blend of genres that you haven’t seen before, because as a studio we’d rather try something crazy and fail than just make a game that you feel that you’ve already played”.

Introducing Byte Breakers | New Playable Prototype

Read More

Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics and Capcom Fighting Collection 2 are both now set to launch for Xbox next year following “technical discussions” with Microsoft, after the platform was omitted from Capcom’s original release announcements.

Word of an Xbox release was conspicuously absent when Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection and Capcom Fighting Collection 2 were announced for PS4, Switch, and Steam back in June and August respectively, frustrating fans on Microsoft’s platform.

Now, however, with Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics’ 12th September release looming, Capcom has taken to social media to reveal both upcoming titles will be making their way to Xbox after all. “We’re excited to announce that after technical discussions with our partners at Microsoft, we can confirm that Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics will release on Xbox One,” the publisher wrote.

MARVEL vs. CAPCOM Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics – Announcement Trailer

Read More

Annapurna Interactive says there’s “been a glitch in the time loop”, and the PS5 physical edition of its Outer Wilds: Archaeologist Edition has been printed with “the wrong version of the game”.
As the Echoes of the Eye expansion was unknowingly not included on the disc, Annapurna invites players to contact iam8bit’s customer support team with proof of purchase to receive a DLC voucher code.

Outer Wilds: Archaeologist Edition – Launch Trailer – Nintendo Switch

Read More

Doom has been ported to dozens of devices, but it’s never been playable quite like this.

Google researchers have now generated an AI version of the retro first-person shooter classic entirely via neural network, based on ingested video clips of gameplay.

It’s a milestone, if a grim one, recorded in a paper published this week entitled “Diffusion models are real-time game engines” (thanks, VentureBeat). This documents how a small team from Google were able to “interactively simulate” a version of Doom, with only a “slightly better than random chance” of humans being able to tell the difference.

Humans are still (currently) required to play Doom first, to provide the video clips of gameplay that are then fed into GameNGen, the research team’s game engine which is “powered entirely by a neural model”. It’s the same principle as the now-commonplace ability for AI to learn from and then generate static images, based on ingesting huge amouts of dubiously-sourced data online.

GameNGen then produces sequential frames based on its learnings of ‘watching’ that gameplay, which are then output at 20fps with a visual quality “comparable to the original”. Here…

Read More